It’s a Launch!Posted on September 3, 2013
Welcome friends, to the ‘new and improved’, Arthur Child Heritage Museum web presence! Our spiffy new logo and website is up and running and is completely filled with all the great and wonderful things you have come to expect from within our doors. The amazing staff and our many supporters, friends and volunteers that share their time, resources and expertise with us from day- to-day, all help to make the museum a place of interest and pride for our entire community. So first of all, let us send out a big thank you to everyone involved!
We are stepping into new territory on many levels and we welcome your thoughts and feedback about your museum and how we might improve upon our mission. As far as our blog posts, I will aim to keep them light, informative and full of interesting history facts, thoughts and updates overall, on all the great offerings down here! Don’t forget to check our Events Calendar for updates on all our activities and happenings year-round.
But first, let me begin by giving you the ‘Top Ten Nifty Things You May Not Know About Us’:
1) We LOVE visitors, so please drop by and say hello! Our many exhibits are usually evolving and we always seem to have a special project that we are working on throughout the year. We welcome any opportunity to chat, educate and share with our friends about the amazing and colourful history of the locals, the river and the islands – so come on down and see what we are up to!
2) We consider ourselves, ‘forever learners’ – just like the proverbial sponge, we try to soak up all we can about our local history and in-turn, share it with you! We thoroughly enjoy receiving your stories and tidbits about the times long, long ago… so feel free to share!
3) Our Summer ’Veranda Days’ are something new we have initiated this season …join us for stunning river views and Ice Cold Lemonades – usually Wednesdays starting at 11:00 am (and only $1.00 per glass with all proceeds assisting with our many ongoing projects and activities!) We hope to continue some Fall ‘Veranda Days’ perhaps, so watch for those updates on the site as well.
4) Our popular ‘Afternoon Victorian Teas’ usually run a couple times each month during the busy summer season and we also host a Victorian Tea & Sweets during Heritage Week Celebrations in February. If you are looking for a relaxing (and tastey) heritage-style experience to share with a special person (or several persons!) give us a call to reserve a table for our next tea time. (Strongly suggested due to limited seating) Our gracious attendants in ‘period costume’ will ensure a pleasant and memorable afternoon!
5) Our Exhibits areas are packed full of local history about our town’s earliest inhabitants as well as, the history of the St.Lawrence and the 1000 Islands region. You can ‘self-guide’ or book a guided tour with our staff at the front desk. Oh, did I mention that general admission is ‘By Donation’? How’s that for a great deal for the family!
6) Our many tourist visitors that stop in each day, come to our town from all corners of the world. The excitement they share is truly contagious and each visitor takes away with them, an experience that we can sometimes take for granted, living in this gorgeous area as we do year-round. Make sure when you visit, that you check out our Visitors Map and Guest Book! It’s a great way to get a better idea of the diversity of people (and their comments) that come to our town each year and vacation in our area.
7) We have a wonderful group of volunteers that help us in many, many ways throughout the year. We welcome your enquiry should you be looking for a great place to spend a few hours each week! The sharing of knowledge, ideas and time is always fun and is truly an appreciated and valuable resource for us!
8) Our Canadiana Gift Shop is simply wonderful and it showcases a diverse collection of interesting Canadian-Made gift items. We also carry jewellery, books and other great gift ideas for that ‘Special Someone’. Check out our ‘End of Summer Sale’ – on now! Our associates will be more than happy to answer your questions about our lovely selection of local artisan works or help you select that perfect gift item. (Don’t forget, Christmas is coming! OMG, did I just say that?!!)
9) If you are looking for a unique venue space to host a small gathering (Meetings, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Showers etc) then give us a call to arrange an appointment with our Event Coordinator (that’s me J) to discuss the many services and options available. Consultations are free of charge and we will be happy to provide a quotation on your potential event requirements.
10) And last but not least, we should let you know – we have a great sense of humour down here, and I would even say some might call us a bit ‘cheeky’ at times! Imagine that!
So there you have it, we’ve launched and it’s full steam ahead! Check back often and feel free to send along your comments to me as we start moving forward. My goal is to keep you engaged with us throughout the year… so don’t leave me standing here all by myself!!
Judy Morrison, Events Coordinator
“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail”
Ralph Waldo Emerson